Thursday, February 3, 2011

February 3, 2011

It's 3:04 a.m. and I have now documented my journey thus far. Sometimes I feel like a broken record and am afraid I'm telling the same story to the same people.
A blog seemed the perfect route to go... not because I think everyone should know about my experiences, but because I think it's a great way for people to know if they want to keep updated.
Chad and I have received many calls, texts, and visits from friends, family, and community members. As a matter of fact Chad and I just got new phones and Clayton has already announced that "when this cancer THING is over I HAVE to change my ringtones." His comment not only made me smile, but reassured me that he's not afraid; he knows everything's going to be okay. We are SO very grateful for all of the love, support, and mostly the prayers others have said for us. We continue to ask for your prayers.
It was made clear to me on Monday that this is not going to be a short little jaunt, but rather a battle for a few months. I'm committed until it's gone, but will probably need encouragement along the way as weeks turn into months. I know there are enough people surrounding us with their love that this will not be a problem!
"Kicking Cancer's Butt" came from a very innocent statement Jenna keeps proclaiming, "My mommy has cancer, and she's going to KICK IT'S BUTT!"
While telling our children that I have cancer has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, I cannot imagine not having my children to fill my day with activities, love, and laughter in order to pass the time till I'm cancer free!
Well, I'm going to take a short nap before getting up at 5ish to be at the hospital at 6:45 a.m. I'm scheduled to be injected with a radioactive dye at 8, to help the surgeon locate my lymph nodes, and heading into surgery at 10 a.m.
Everything's going to be awesome, as having the cancer out of my body will be such a relief tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Nicole...I can't even begin to know what to say. It's so great for your sanity to try and stay positive, but I can't imagine the heart wrench you guys have been through. I've never met Chad, but it sounds like he's a supportive husband and I'm so glad you have that. I just read all of your posts from the beginning to here. As I read it, I felt sad you have to endure this, but hopeful that you'll persevere. I started to get all nastalgic for our younger, more carefree days. And then I laughed some of the silly stuff we used to do. Can you say sleepovers? Oh, and I'm listening to NKOTB righ now, in your honor. HA! I wish you the best and look forward to reading about your journey. I think you'll find a blog is a great way to go. Then people can read without you feeling like you have to repeat yourself 400x. That's why I started one. When we were in VA, I lost track of who I told what to. Also, then people can check in when they have time.

    Anyway. Good luck and I'm thinking about you.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the blog. We all love you!-Pastor Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to let you know this is the first I have heard of your news. Thanks you for Kristin Flander for posting it so we can also pray for your family. Stay strong in your faith and family. God will use us more in the hard times than in the easy. Prayers to you, your family and wisdom for all the doctors involved.
    Amy Armstrong-(clayton & Jessi were class mates at DR-M, as well as Chad teaching our children in PE:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole love the blog. Prayers are coming your way everyday and can't wait for you to "KICK IT'S BUTT" We all love you!!! Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole,
    I love this. I always wonder when to call and what to say, and this will give me a great chance to keep up to date with everything. Jason and I will be checking in regularly. GO KICK SOME BUTT!!! We love you and our thoughts and prayers are with you!!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole,
    I am in awe of your strength to not only KICK BUTT but to also blog about it. You are in my thoughts and prayers, as is Chad and your family.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole,
    Thank you for your willingness to share a very personal and scary time with those of us who care about you and your family. I have kept you and your family in my prayers since Jane shared the information about your cancer. I have always been impressed by your families love and caring for each other and your willingness to include others. I miss seeing you and your family in our community but I think of you often. Please don't hesitate to have someone contact me if there is anything I can do to help you or your family. I will continue to hold you all in my prayers. Continue to let God give you and your family the strength throughout as you have shown already. Cancer is such a terrible disease that seems to know no boundaries. Let us help in anyway that may help you or your family. It is our way of helping you fight this awful disease. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Vicki

    ReplyDelete